I'm not going to stand on my soap box and lecture lol BUT if every parent treated their child's head lice properly until it had completely gone then this would not be the case, instead the parents who do treat it spend their money and time on something they know will only return. I'm sure some parents in the school even ignore the problem.
Here are the facts:-
- Most common among children between 3-12 years old.
- Female head lice lay eggs (called nits) that are smaller than a pinhead.
- They use a kind of glue to make sure they stay around 1cm close to the scalp.
- The egg cases and the nits are white and it’s easy to mistake them for flakes of dry skin.
- About 9 to 10 days later the eggs hatch.
- When lice hatch they leave empty egg cases behind that stay attached to the hair.
- These young lice are called nymphs.
- In another 12 days they become adult lice and can then lay new eggs.
- Lice can only live for a short time away from the head – no longer than 48 hours.
- Head lice cannot hop, fly or swim - although they can crawl up to 30cm per minute.
- Head lice do not live on pets such as cats and dogs.
My youngest has just moved into senior school with his older brother so I am hoping and crossing my fingers that I have seen the last of the problem. The slight issue is that I am still a Dinner Nanny at an infant and junior school so I do have a slight risk of being infected, but hopefully not as much as the children.
I have tried quite a few different types of head lice treatment over the years, the latest one, I was given to try out, was the Linicin 10 minute Shampoo. This is a very easy way to treat head lice and the boys gave it a big thumbs up as, unlike other products we have used, there was no nasty smell. Simple to use, we just wet their hair and dried it lightly with a towel, then we used around half the bottle of the shampoo on each and gave it a good rub, left it for the recommended 10 minutes and rinsed out, followed by combing through the wet hair with a head lice comb. What impressed me was there was their hair was not left greasy in any way from the product.