The World Environment Day celebration began in 1972 and has grown to become one of the main vehicles through which the United Nations stimulates worldwide awareness of the environment and encourages political attention and action.
Here are a few easy steps to improve your eco habits and green your daily routine:
- A - Act now. Make the decision to become more aware of issues related to food waste
- B - Buy locally! Flying food across continents increases global transportation emissions.
- C - Choose naturally grown foods. They have less of an environmental impact and are much healthier.
- D - Don’t buy more food than you really need.
- E - Educate your friends on how individual actions can have an exponential impact and motivate action for WED.
- F - Form a group of peers or colleagues to oversee the food waste at your school, neighborhood or workplace.
- G - Go electronic for bills and payments: at home, in the office, at the bank etc.
- H - Host a World Environment Day celebration.
- I - Improve the insulation of your home – it will really help your energy consumption…and your monthly bills!
- J - Jog outside and save the energy you would have used on the treadmill!
- K - Kick the habit! Don’t print unless it’s absolutely necessary. And when you do print – always print double-sided!
- L - Learn more about the environment impact of food production. Did you know that it takes 1,000 litres of water to produce 1 litre of milk?
- M - Mobilize your networks! Message your friends about WED — facebook, twitter, orkut, SMS, text, phone, email — it doesn’t matter how, just get the word out!
- N - Notify your friends on how their action against food waste could have a huge impact. Even if just one-fourth of the food currently lost or wasted globally could be saved, it would be enough to feed 870 million hungry people in the world.
- O - Order small food portions first. Better to add on than waste.
- P - Pile up! Lay the grounds for a compost pile and start sorting your garbage.
- Q - Quantify how much money you could save each cold winter if you lowered the temperature inside your home by 2 degrees Celsius. It could reduce your energy consumption by 14 percent!!!
- R - Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
- S - Switch your light bulbs to energy-efficient LED’s. You will see substantial savings on energy bills!
- T - Think outside of the bottle! Bottled water costs 1900 times more than tap water
- U - Use rainwater for your indoor plants – they love it, and you’ll save water at the same time.
- V - Visit the WED website regularly and see how you can get involved!
- W - Waste not food! 1 in every 7 people in the world go to bed hungry and more than 20,000 children under the age of 5 die daily from hunger.
- X - X-plore the World Environment Day website. Find out more about food waste.
- Y - You can make a difference – individual actions, when multiplied, can make an exponential difference to the planet!
- Z - Zip around town on your bike, on public transport, or walk to a restaurant near you. It’s cheaper!